Sunday, October 2, 2011

Three of a Kind? Musti, Miffy and Hello Kitty.

I always wondered if Hello Kitty and Miffy were related.  What do you think?


File:Musti (character).png
Musti created by Ray Goossens 1945 Flemish
But then what about Musti?  I hadn't even heard of Musti before!

Miffy.jpg
Miffy created by Dick Bruna 1955 Belgium

Perhaps they are all cousins..........

File:Hello kitty character portrait.png
Hello Kitty created by Yuko Shimizu 1974 Japan
Clearly Musti is the original.  All are a clean design. 

Two are cats and one is a rabbit......

I like to think it is a charming coincidence.   More for us all to enjoy... 

I know my girls love Miffy and Hello Kitty - I guess it is about time I introduce them to Musti?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they are related somehow as stories from Belgium and the Netherlands was very popular with the japanese during the time of Hello Kitty's creation. (Like how they adapted the Dutch Alfred the duck and the Flemish 'Dog of flanders'.)

That's something I'd like to add as well, Musti is Flemish (Belgian north side) not dutch.

cocolini said...

Thank you Keniakittykat for your comment! I am interested in checking out the duck and dog that you have mentioned! And thank you for pointing out that Musti is Flemish - I will correct that!

Anonymous said...

My daughter started watching musti first on babyfirst tv. She knows now about hello kitty. She is 4 years old and still refers to hello kitty as musti! We call hello kitty musti.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Musti is a boy and Hello Kitty is a girl. I appreciate learning the years of creation and countries of origin. Inspiration comes from everywhere across the globe!